OAI Researchers perform outstanding, cutting-edge research and technology development. The quality of our performance is demonstrated through numerous patents, publications, awards, and recognitions from customers, international technical societies, and independent scientific peer reviews.
Recent Accomplishments with Industry Clients
- Provided research support for joining dissimilar materials for Boeing’s Joint Heavy Lift Transport jet engines in conjunction with Materials Resources International, sponsored by the Army.
- Supported high-temperature life modeling of ceramic matrix composites for aero-engine applications with Pratt & Whitney, sponsored by AFRL.
- Developed high-thermal conductivity nanocomposite fabrication processes for thermal management in consumer electronic devices for GrafTech International sponsored by Ohio’s Third Frontier Research Commercialization Program.
- Supported advanced turbulence modeling of rotor flow applications for the Helicopter Quieting Program with Rockwell Scientific, sponsored by DARPA.
- Assisted in nanofiber X-Aerogel research by varying formulations to study the material properties for Parker Hannifin Corporation, sponsored by the Glenn Alliance for Technology Exchange.
- Air Force Office of Scientific Research “Star Team” Aeronautical
Sciences Division, “Outstanding Team Technical Achievement” Quarterly Award, and the “Service before Self” Award.
- “Silver Snoopy” Space Flight Safety Award for developing repair technologies for Reinforced Carbon-Carbon (RCC) components for the Space Shuttle thermal protection system.
- “International Award” from the European Ceramics Society for outstanding contributions and achievements in ceramic scientific research for ultra high-temperature and microjoining technologies.
- “Space Flight Awareness” Award for contributions to Space Shuttle return to flight by developing constitutive models for spray-on external tank insulation foams.
- Keynote Presentation at the International High Temperature Electronics Conference for “Demonstration of 500°C AC Amplifier based on SiC MESFET and Ceramic Packaging.”
- NASA Group Achievement, Return to Flight, Public Service Medal, “Software of the Year,” Best Paper and Tech Brief Awards.
- Feature cover of Nature Nanotechnology, “Fibre Pays Off for Nanocomposites” (scanning electron microscopy).
- Authorship/editorship of numerous scientific books and book chapters, special journal articles, and technical publications.
- Multiple technical society “Governor,” “Fellow” and “Associate Fellow” designations.
“Due to the Institute’s research expertise – technical input, technical presentations, and great teamwork – the Air Force’s ‘Lifing of CMC’s’ Program was successful.”
Dr. Bob Miller, Senior Fellow, Pratt & Whitney
“MRI’s work with the Institute’s researchers has greatly expanded our capabilities and capacity to serve our government and commercial customers.”
Dr. Ron Smith, President, Materials Resources International
For additional information, please contact:
Research & Educational Programs
p: 440.962.3030 or AnnHeyward@oai.org