Return to Current Research Participants
Dr. Robert P. Dougherty
- OptiNav, Inc.
- The Boeing Company
- Associate Technical Fellow, Aeroacoustics and Fluid Mechanics, 1997-2000
- Principal Engineer, Noise Technology, 1991-1997
- Senior Specialist Engineer, Electromagnetics Technology, 1986-1991
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, Iowa State University, 1986
- M.S., Physics, Iowa State University, 1982
- B.A., Physics, Rice University, 1979
Made leading contributions to the phased array aeroacoustic test technique, including beamforming algorithms, array design, and presentation of results. Applied this technique to clarify airframe, turbomachinery, and jet noise sources. Developed standard computer programs for predicting nacelle acoustic propagation by ray tracing (RDIFF) and the parabolic approximation (cduct). Developed concepts for nacelle acoustic design, including nacelle shape and lining placement. Twenty technical papers and one book chapter. Taught several short courses, including beamforming and nacelle acoustic propagation. Taught acoustics at Cogswell College North. Several awards from Boeing and NASA, including one for inventing the log-spiral phased array design. Four patents.
Hardware and software products. See http://www.optinav.com.
- Phased array imaging of turbofan engine noise sources
- The Aeroacoustics Research Consortium
- Honeywell Engines, Systems & Services
- Prosig, Ltd.
- Phased arrays
- Turnkey systems for engineering/scientific research and noise control
- Image processing plugins for the ImageJ package
- State of the art deconvolution software for microscopy (free)
- Custom plugins